Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Dr. Maya Angelou and Me

     I first met her in the early 90's, when Oprah Winfrey gave us, (the Wiz cast), a party. The first time that we conversed, (our 2nd meeting), and that I was in her presence for an extended time was at Valerie Simpson's & Nick Ashford 's house in CT. We sat around the table inside the house and listened to her speak about "what a friend is" just before she hosted the Moulin Rouge poolside show at their annual White Party.  She was dressed to the 9's... complete with wide-brimmed hat. 
     Many times after, I'd be called down to the Sugar Bar to sing because Dr Maya Angelou would be there and, (I was told), she loved to hear me sing. (gasp!!) :-o When I was in town, I'd more than gladly oblige. Once, after I sang Chain Of Fools, she grabbed my face and spoke a sort of impromptu poem about how I'd taken her to the stars and let her fall amongst the this and that with my singing. 
     I attended an event for Betty Shabazz, (Malcom X's wife), at Convent Ave Baptist Church at the request of Iyanla Vanzant. She asked me to sing STILL I RISE by Yolanda Adams just before Dr. Angelou was to speak! How awesome is THAT!?! I think God's tryna tell me something.  :-D
   I was introduced to and constantly brought into the presence of this GREAT being, by other GREAT beings.
I will NEVER forget these things. I will NEVER forget her impact on our world. God, bless the soul and the works of Dr. Angelou and may both be multiplied. She is who I aspire to be. GREAT!
Humbly submitted,
Inaya Day
www.InayaDay.com

No comments:

Post a Comment